Mole Ecological Landscape Gets Conservation Trust Fund

2nd December 2019

A Rocha Ghana (ARG) together with its implementing partners have set up for the first time, a Conservation Trust Fund for the Mole Ecological Landscape―one of the areas where the organisation intervenes.

The Trust Fund was launched at the organisation’s 20th anniversary celebration which took place last Friday, November 28, 2019 at the GNAT hall in Accra. The fund is expected to provide long term sustainable source of funding to support biodiversity conservation, livelihoods and other related sustainable development objectives, within the Mole Ecological Landscape located in northern parts of Ghana.

The Mole Ecological Landscape Conservation Trust Fund (MELCTF) officially launched by the Australian Ambassador, Andrew Barnes will begin operations with a seed fund of GH₵50,000.

Giving an overview of the Trust Fund, Deputy Director for ARG, Mr. Daryl Bosu said the funds have been garnered from two main sources including grants from funding partners to the tune of GH₵ 30,000―representing 60% and the remaining 40% from conservation premium from organic Shea trade from 2014 to 2018 trade period.

Contributing partners are; IUCN-NL, IUCN, Noe, A Rocha Ghana, Dessange, DANIDA, BMU.

For continuity, funds received from investments in green commodity modules will serve as the primary source of funds for the MELCTF. This would come from the trade of organic Shea, Shea butter, organic cassava, honey amongst others.

On the operations and management of the Trust Fund, the Deputy Director revealed a 13-member Board would have the responsibility of overseeing all aspects of the administration of the Trust Fund.

The MELCTF is expected to support four main focal areas including; Natural Resource Management, Research & Development in relation to sustainable natural resource management Capacity building and Social Development and Green Business Development.

Receiving the cheque, representatives from the landscape, expressed immense gratitude to ARG and its partners and assured the Trust Fund would be properly managed so it serves the purpose for which it was set up.

Find full brief on the Trust Fund HERE

Press Release: IUCN Passes Resolution Calling for Global Action to Save Atewa Forest 5th November 2020
Political Manifestos: Are They Missing the Green Link? 27th October 2020
Latest news
ARG/IUCN Hold Training For Businesses On Natural Capital 2nd October 2020
Murugu Organic Shea Women Group Receives Motor Tricycle 3rd September 2020